Sign-in for offers and discounts from brands you view Sign in

A Suspect Has Been Charged in the Delphi Murders of 2 Girls. What to Know About the Years-Long Hunt for Justice

Channel Image

Published on Oct 31, 2022
A Suspect Has Been Charged in the Delphi Murders of 2 Girls. What to Know About the Years-Long Hunt for Justice

#news #updates #time

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, commenting, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Police have arrested a suspect in the brutal 2017 killings of two eighth-grade girls from Delphi, Ind.—the first major break in a case that has captivated national attention for nearly six years. The case is perhaps best known for the fact that the girls, Abigail “Abby” Williams, 13, and Liberty “Libby” German, 14, documented the final moments before they were killed near a hiking trail in the town of 3,000 people. On Oct. 26, detectives took 50-year-old Richard M. Allen, a local Delphi resident, into custody at the Indiana State Police Lafayette Post. Allen was formally charged with murdering Abby and Libby on Oct. 28. “Today is not a day to celebrate,” Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter said on Monday. “But the arrest of Richard M. Allen of Delphi on two counts of murder is sure a major step in leading to the conclusion of this long-term and complex investigation.” Here’s what to know about the case, and the hunt for the killer. What Happened to Abby Williams and Libby German? Abigail Williams, 13, (left) and Liberty German, 14 (right), were found dead in February 2017 in the small town of Delphi, Ind. Indiana State Police Abby and Libby were dropped off near Monon High Bridge in Delphi, which is about 65 miles northwest of Indianapolis, on Feb. 13, 2017 at around 1 p.m. The girls had arranged to be picked up by a relative at a designated time, but did not show up. Police were called about the missing girls about 5:30 p.m. Family members and police began to search the area, but could not locate either child. Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby initially told Indianapolis TV station WRTV that he was not concerned that the girls were in imminent danger. However, about 12:15 p.m. the next day, authorities located two bodies near Deer Creek, about a half-mile upstream from the bridge where they were last seen. On Feb. 15, police shared a photograph of a suspect wearing blue jeans, a blue jacket and a hoodie, hoping someone from the community could identify the suspect. Officials have never disclosed information on the girls’ cause of death, or provided other details commonly released in murder cases. They have repeatedly cited the need to keep details secret in an effort not to compromise the investigation. And despite this arrest, the investigation is still ongoing, police said. Tip lines are open for information about Allen and “any other person” Carter told the press. Haunting recordings A photograph, distributed by law enforcement officers, of a person observed on the Delphi Historic Trail around the time Abby and Libby were killed. Indiana State Police Not much is known about Abby and Libby’s final moments, though authorities know the girls were last walking across an old railroad bridge at 2:07 p.m. on the day of their murder, based on German’s chilling last Snapchat post. In the post, Abby is walking down an abandoned railroad track, with no other people seen. Just two days after the girls disappeared, police released a grainy photograph found on Libby’s cellphone of a man whom they wanted to speak with. Police identified him as a suspect by Feb. 19. On Feb. 22, officials released an audio recording of a man saying “down the hill,” with leaves heard crunching in the background. Police said it was likely that the voice belonged to the man in the photo, and they pleaded for anyone who recognized the voice to come forward. National media outlets widely reported this case, causing many to share theories and even podcast episodes dedicated to the case. The FBI even launched a nationwide digital billboard campaign, Fox News reports, with photos of the victims and suspect shared through about 6,000 billboards across 46 states. In April 2019, two years after the girls’ death, police released a one-second video from Libby’s cellphone of a man who was walking behind the girls along the railroad bridge the girls had visited, again asking the public for help to identify the suspect....


Share Video

  • 560 x 315
  • 640 x 360
  • 853 x 480
  • 1280 x 720

Add to

Flag Video

Rate video

Rate video